Achieve a Healthy & Beautiful Smile
Crowns are a versatile dental treatment used in restorative and cosmetic procedures that can help restore function and beauty to your teeth. Whether you have a single damaged tooth or multiple teeth that need aesthetic enhancement, your dentist might recommend this common treatment.
What Are Crowns Used For?
A dental crown acts like a cap that is placed over the tooth and cemented in place. It is tooth shaped, and looks just like your natural teeth. Each crown is custom made to fit the exact tooth it is covering. A crown can be used in the following cases:
- Placed over a tooth that is weak from decay
- Hold together a tooth that is broken or cracked
- Restore a severely worn down tooth
- Support a tooth with a large filling
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Cover teeth that are discolored or misshapen
- Cover a dental implant
The benefits of crowns include:
- Look and function just like your natural teeth
- Covers the entire visible part of the tooth, protecting the entire structure
- Made of strong and durable material that will last decades with proper care
The Crown Procedure
In the case that your dentist recommends a crown for your dental issue, they will first numb the area around the tooth and use a drill to smooth it down, making room for the crown. Sometimes, the tooth is so badly damaged that you might need a crown buildup to create a foundation on which to place the crown. Your dentist will then make an impression of the tooth, which will be sent to a lab to create the crown. In the meantime, you will be fitted with a temporary crown to protect your tooth.
Within a couple of weeks, the dentist will then cement the crown in place and make sure it fits properly. They will check to make sure it is comfortable and that your bite is aligned.
A straightforward treatment, crowns not only bring back the function and look of a tooth, but help preserve your overall dental health, as well. If you have questions about crowns and how they may solve your dental needs, please call our office to schedule an appointment.